If you are working with a group project to submit content into the KY MEdia Bank, first off, we welcome you to YOUR public space to share Kentucky’s rich individual and community history online.
Group submissions are defined by a group or community of people who are gathering stories, photographs, video or audio interviews with Kentucky’s residents about a specific topic in Kentucky’s history. (If you are working within a classroom setting for this project, please see the instructions for classroom participation.)
If you are interested in having your group participate in adding content to the KY MEdia Bank’s deposits, here are some tips:
- Contributions from to this site must be original material. You may not contribute published or copyrighted material without the owners’ express permission. (i.e., no pictures from books at the public library or from a university’s archival collection). Ownership, other than that of the contributor, MUST be stated in the description field of the submission.
- Groups may choose to have members individually add their own stories or images or work with local classroom to encourage students to engage community and family members on historical memories of the subject.
- Your group may choose to host a “story sharing event” inviting individuals from the community to meet in a central location to share photographs or written or recorded stories of personal memories. Group members could take digital photographs of images that individuals might bring to share. Any original content (such as printed photographs or written stories) need to remain with the owner, only capture a digital representation of this content for deposit into the KY MEdia Bank.
- If group members are conducting recorded interviews for this project, while they are recording please have them identify their intent to deposit the recording to this online bank for public access and request permission to do so from the individual.
- Contributors to the KY MEdia Bank should clearly understand that any stories or images that are shared through this project remain the property of the individual contributing them. In no way does KY MEdia Bank require copyright of the content being shared.
- Contributors should clearly identify whose story or images are being contributed, if not their own. You can do this in the description field.
Once the interviews or images are captured, group members will need to upload them to the KY MEdia Bank site through the “Join the Conversation” page. Here you will upload your digital files to the site and describe your contribution for others to discover and share.
The fields you will be requested to fill out are:
- Your name: Contributing student’s name
- Your email address: This could be the student’s or the teachers, it depends on where you want confirmation of posting sent.
- Your School/Organization: Type the full name in this field
- The year you were born: Your birth year
- Your occupation: This field is optional
- Your gender: This field is optional
- Your race or ethnicity: This field is optional
Below “Your Submission”:
- Post title: This could be something like “Interview with John Doe about …” or it could be “Photograph with Jane Doe in front of the Mayo Underwood High School, 1954.” It should be brief, but descriptive.
- Description: This is a brief description of the item you have contributed. If the item is an image, describe who is in the image and where the image was taken, where the image came from (i.e., contributed by Mrs. Jane Doe) and any interesting stories about the image ((i.e., “This image of Mr. and Mrs. Doe standing in front of the Parkside Grill was taken in 1964. The Parkside Grill was a usual hangout for teenagers in Salyersville, Ky., during this time period.”). If a description of an audio or video interview, please write a brief description of what was discussed in the interview (i.e., “In this interview, Mrs. Doe discusses attending high school in Sterns, Ky. … .”).
- Category: Choose from the dropdown options what type of file you will be contributing (audio, video, image, written)
- Today’s date: Select the date on the calendar that pops up when you click to create a cursor in the box.
- Featured image: If you are contributing an audio file or a written memory, you have the opportunity to upload an image of the individual whose story is being shared or an item related to the discussion. This is where you upload that image to go with the audio or written information. Click “select image” and find the image where it is saved on your computer and click “open.”
- Media URL: if you are posting a video, you will need to first upload this into a video sharing site, such as youtube.com or vimeo.com. Once this video is posted to the video sharing site ((i.e., youtube) copy the URL from that page and paste it into this field.
- File upload: This is where you upload your audio interview or image. Click on “select file(s)” and find the image where it is saved on your computer and click “open.” If you have a video file, you will need to first upload this into a video sharing site, such as youtube.com or vimeo.com.
- Tag: Please tag your contribution with any keywords or phrases that will be helpful for others searching the site.
- Publish my contribution on the Web: Indicate whether you want this submission to be available online or not.
- Publish my contribution anonymously: You have the option for your contribution to be anonymous if you so choose.
- Captcha: Please type in the letter and number combination you see here.
Please read the terms and conditions and if you agree, check the “Terms & Conditions” box. When you are finished with your descriptions and content selections, please click the “submit” button.