If you are working with a group classroom project to submit content into the KY MEdia Bank, first off, we welcome you to YOUR public space to share Kentucky’s rich individual and community history online.
If you are interested in having your classroom participate in adding content to the KY MEdia Bank’s deposits, here are some tips:
For classroom participation
There is no real age limit for a class to participate in adding content to this site, but we would recommend middle school or above, based on the content and technical side of contributing to the site. Educators may choose to work with their students on gathering oral histories or interviews with family or community members about their memories of the current subject. Recordings for this site can be made in audio or video format. Please visit this quick tip guide to find interviewing tips for students. They may also choose to work with family and community members on sharing personal photographs or images of objects that help tell the story.
- Contributions from to this site must be original material. Students may not contribute published or copyrighted material without the owners’ express permission. (i.e., no pictures from books at the public library or from a university’s archival collection). Ownership, other than that of the contributor MUST be stated in the description field of the submission.
- Students can be assigned to record an interview with a family member at home about their memories of the topic or educators can work with a local group, such as a church or human rights commission, to set up interviews with student groups or schedule individuals to come into the classroom for a recorded group interview.
- Educators may choose to work with a local group, such as a public library or church, to set up a “story sharing event” inviting individuals from the community to meet in a central location to share photographs or written or recorded stories of personal memories. Students could take digital photographs of images that individuals might bring to share. Any original content (such as printed photographs or written stories) need to remain with the owner. Capture a digital representation of this content for deposit into the KY MEdia Bank.
- If students are conducting recorded interviews for this project, as they are recording please have them identify their intent to deposit the recording to this online bank for public access and request permission to do so from the individual(s) being recorded.
- Contributors to the KY MEdia Bank should clearly understand that any stories or images that are shared through this project remain the property of the individual contributing them. In no way does KY MEdia Bank retain copyright of the content being shared.
Once the interviews or images are captured, students will need to upload them to the KY MEdia Bank site through the “Join the Conversation” page. Here you will upload your digital files to the site and describe your contribution for others to discover and share.
The fields you will be requested to fill out:
Your name: Contributing student’s name
Your email address: This could be the student’s or the teacher’s, depending on where you want confirmation of posting sent.
Your school/organization: Type the full name of your school in this field.
The year you were born: This would be the student’s birth year.
Your occupation: This could be “student.”
Your gender: This field is optional.
Your race/ethnicity: This field is optional.
Below “Your Submission”:
Post title: This could be something like “Interview with John Doe about …” or it could be “Photograph with Jane Doe in front of the Mayo Underwood High School, 1954.” It should be brief, but descriptive.
Description: This is a brief description of what you have contributed. If it is an image, describe who is in the image, where the image was taken, where the image came from (i.e., contributed by Mrs. Jane Doe) and any interesting stories about it (i.e., “This image of Mr. and Mrs. Doe standing in front of the Parkside Grill was taken in 1964. The Parkside Grill was a usual hangout for teenagers in Salyersville, Ky., during this time period.”). If you are uploading an audio or video interview, please write a brief description of what was discussed in the interview (i.e., “In this interview, Mrs. Doe discusses attending high school in Sterns, Ky. … .”).
Category: Choose the type of file you will be contributing from the dropdown categories (audio, video, image, written).
Today’s date: Select the date on the calendar that pops up when you click to create a cursor in the box.
Featured image: If you are contributing an audio file or a written memory, you have the opportunity to upload an image of the individual whose story is being shared or one that represents their topic. This is where you do so. Click “select image” and find the image where it is saved on your computer, then click “open.” The image should automatically upload.
Media URL: If you are posting a video, you will need to first upload this into a video sharing site such as youtube.com or vimeo.com. Once this video is posted to the video sharing site (i.e., youtube), copy the URL address from that page and paste it into this field.
File upload: This is where you upload your audio interview or image. Click on “select file(s)” and find the image where it is saved on your computer and click “open.” If you have a video file, you will need to first upload this into a video sharing site such as youtube.com or vimeo.com.
Tag: Please tag your contribution with any keywords or phrases that will be helpful for others searching the site. EDUCATORS – Please type the full name of your class into this space. In order to be able to search by class contributions, this needs to be done uniformly. Please type the entire name of your class name (i.e., Mrs. Shields’ 2nd Period English Class). Please be consistent.
Publish my contribution on the Web: Indicate whether you want this submission to be available online or not.
Publish my contribution anonymously: You have the option for your contribution to be anonymous if you or your students so choose.
Captcha: Please type in the letter and number combination you see here.
Please read the terms and conditions and if you agree, check the “Terms & Conditions” box.
When you are finished with your descriptions and content selections, please click the “submit” button.